2 Gal Tank

bugsy66

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
What can you put in a 2 gal tank, undergravel filter no heater. Something other than bettas?

:)

If possible, return it and get a bigger tank.

If not, a small group of neons or 2-3 guppies. However, you are severely limited in what you can put in there...

I have two of these kicking around and the kids wanted something to put in there. I am into my saltwater tank but don't mind putting something in there for them. So you say guppies or neons. How many neons could you put in there? Or could you put 2 black skirt tetras?

If there's no heater.. you're pretty limited.. I wouldn't keep guppies or neons in an unheated tank unless you live somewhere warm where the temp doesn't drastically change day to day.

I don't know if your kids would be interested in snails.. not the most exciting thing.. white clouds can live in unheated tanks.. but 2-3 gallons isn't really big enough..

I don't think I'd try anything other then a betta or some snails.

Try setting up a cute, tiny planted tank - use little plants, a little rock or piece of bogwood. That would look nice on a desk or something.

Tbh I think it's cruel to keep guppies in a 2 gal tank. These are very active fish, they need the room to explore. The husky in the bedsit analogy springs to mind once again. I also would not have neons, can't keep a school in such a small tank and the fluctuating water stats are not likely to do them any good.

What I would do would be to landscape it as interestingly as possible and then set up a shrimp colony. Cherry shrimps would do nicely in that tank, or tigers. IMO shrimps are just as much fun to watch as fish, if not more so. Right little characters. This of course is totally dependent on whether or not you can keep the tank warm enough. But I think there are tiny heaters you can get- ask the betta people. Also not sure what the temperature params for different shrimps are- buy you can look that up.

I think there are tiny heaters you can get- ask the betta people. Also not sure what the temperature params for different shrimps are- buy you can look that up.

Hehe... betta people. :D

Yep, you can get tiny little heaters that don't have a thermostat, but raise the temperature by a few degrees. They just kind of slip into your tank, very thin.

Here's one: Hydor Mini Aquarium Heater

Hi bugsy66 :)

Your little tank would make a perfect home for a pair of African Dwarf Frogs. These are totally aquatic and are fun to watch.

Here's a link that will give you information about how to tell the difference between them and their larger African Clawed relatives:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=18252

Id say go for shrimp, or an ADF... I have some of those hydor mini,and they are great. Defineatly worth it if you are serious about keeping some small shrimps etc in there...
If you are into saltwater, then why not get a pico reef going, youd only need a small filter and some LR and your off, and then lighting of some sort, depending on whether you want to keep corals or not...

Mikey

What can you put in a 2 gal tank, undergravel filter no heater. Something other than bettas?

One word.....TRIOPS :good: . You could put a couple of cherry shrimp in there too, or an adf once the triops get bigger. But remember if you want more triops late ron you will have to dry out the gravel so the shrimp and adf would have to have a place to go in the meantime.

hey, maybe you could put some small snails or shrimp with a couple of platies or balloon mollies. They're nice fish and thrive in a range of conditions!

best of luck

If you are into saltwater, then why not get a pico reef going, youd only need a small filter and some LR and your off, and then lighting of some sort, depending on whether you want to keep corals or not...

I actually started with a 10 gal, but there is just to much swing and top offs that you have to keep up with. To much trouble. There some people that have these but I like my saltwater tank as it is. I just thought that I would ask about this. You know what happens after a while hey, the kids get bored and who looks after it??? MOM

Thanks everyone for the replies... :D

Most reactions

Back