2 Externals, 1 Inlet/outlet?

fisshboy

Reaction score
Hi all, iv recently got a fluval 204 and a 305 im running the 305 on my 200L but its a little over stocked so my idea was to run both filters at once with a "Y" connecter so i only have one inlet and one outlet hose in my tank as iv had to cut bits out of the hood already and don't fancy doing it again.

Would this work? Or would the water just take the path of least resistance and only go through one pump? And would it actually make much difference using this setup?

Thanks in advance
Fisshboy

I don't think you'll get the benefit of two filters by doing this. The 305 is a stronger filter than the 204 so I suspect you're right and that more water would flow through the bigger one. I'd keep the inlet/outlet for both separate to ensure the highest possible filtration levels.

It can work but depends a lot on the pipework. Water will follow the path of least resistance and the more you push down a narrow pipe the more it's likely to go back into the weaker filter, or at least mess with it's flow rate.

The best way around this I've seen is to use wider pipework at and after the join, which reduces the back pressure, but may well remove the benefits you're looking at anyway.

Most reactions

Back