2 Dead Corries!

Ilya

Fishaholic
Reaction score
On sunday one of my cories died, and this morning I discovered another dead. I checked my tanks specs and they are green. The ammonia, NirtrIte and NitrAte are good. PH is normal. Water temperature is normal. The only abnormal thing I have is algae. And I'm trying to get rid of it. At first it was green spotted algae. Then I shortened the amount of light and I got the nasty dark green algae as well as hair algae.

Any ideas?

You going to have to give specific readings for all your stats other than just 'good' or 'normal' :).

What species of corydoras do you have? How long have you had them? What size are they at?

If I were you, I'd leave the algae for now. It is not abnormal in the slightest, in fact if you look at any of our aquarium fish species natural habitat algae is extremely prominent.

Focus on your fish first, then deal with the algae.

Long story short the only real way to get rid of algae (other than messing around with chemicals, which I don't recommend) is to have growing plants that will out compete it. But realistically your tank will always have some algae. Algae eating fish will help keep it down to an extent too, but they still need fed algae wafers and similar.

i've lost 4 of the 6 green cories i bought and have not seen any stats outside of the desired ranges.

i've lost 4 of the 6 green cories i bought and have not seen any stats outside of the desired ranges.
Fish usually die for a reason, all I can ask you is basically the same as I've already asked Ilya. What would you consider 'desired'? When you say 'green cories' do you mean some kind of green form of C.aeneus (like laser green or something), do you mean Brochis splendens or do you mean dyed corydoras?

How long have you had them, what size are they, are they wild collected, ect? :).

i bought them as either green or jewel cories, not sure which but they are not dyed.
by desired i mean all levels are within desired parameters, 0 amnonia and minimum nitrate/nitrate.
I do not know if they came from the wild or where, but they are a more reputable place than the standard LFS.
the 2 surviving ones appear fine, but i'm starting to wonder if something is attacking them at night, the last one i lost had a spot around its dorsal that was missing some flesh. I've watched very close and have never seen anything bother them though.

Never heard of jewel corydoras, and I've seen 'green corydoras' used for both wild and captive bred apparently green forms of C.aeneus, captive bred regular C.aeneus and Brochis splendens.

I take it by 'minimum' nitrite you mean 0 too? How about pH and hardness? Are they small? I've found the younger they are the less tolerant they tend to be of high nitrate/high pH , and even more so for wild-collected ones.

Who do you think the suspect is? -_-

yes, the other readings are low on the chart, sorry i've not got them committed to memory. PH i want to say about 6.8, my readings were coming up the same every week so i've cut back on readings and just stay regular with the changes.
they were rather small, maybe 1.25" when i got them. I've never seen my gouramis or eels bother them, so i have no idea what the suspect could be. guess i'll go back to weekly readings and monitor the 2 remaining before replacing them as they were great lil guys.

Does he look a little fat? He has a round belly. Also, my Rubbermouth Pleco went missing D:, he's usually sucking on glass.

1030326ss2.jpg

Ammonia: >0.15
NitrIte: about 0.03
NitrAte: No clue, but it's probably being absorbed by all of my algae.

I have an Emerald Green Corydorus, I got it 2-3 months ago. The water temp is around 71*F always.

If you have Ammonia in the tank that should be a warning for you. Ammonia should always be 0 on a cycled tank. If its not then something is wrong.

If you have Ammonia in the tank that should be a warning for you. Ammonia should always be 0 on a cycled tank. If its not then something is wrong.

Not true. There will always be a small trace of ammonia in the water. It's not like the filter tube gets it as soon as the poo comes out!

There should never be enough to show on the test though... not if it is properly cycled. With that reading... it can very well be part of the problem. Corys are very sensitive to bad water.
That reading is telling you something is wrong.

Mine reads 0, and I have a bunch of fish using the water for a toilet. The bacteria keeps it at a level that the test does not pick up. If it is high enough to show on the test... as said before... it is a problem.

got home and one of my older albino cories was dead, it came with the tank so i have no idea how old it was. Did a full water test and ph was a little high at 7.8 but all nitrate, nitrite and amonia were all at 0. All the other fish appear fine and no signs of anything wrong with any tetras or the eels.

Most reactions

Back