2 1/2 gallon tank with dividers

BettasRFriends

Moved On
Reaction score
Petco sells this 2 1/2 gallon tanks (longer than it is tall). You can easily add in dividers (built in little thingies to hold it in with) to have 4 compartments of .8 something gallon. It is made of glass. Would that be okay for 3 bettas with 1 compartment as filtration and heating? They also sell a 5 gallon with the same specs without the built in divider holders. 12 USD for the 2 1/2 and 15 for the 5 gallon

I think they sound just fine.
I have a couple of my boys in 2.5G glass rectangle tanks by themselves and just do 100% water changes on them 1 - 2 times a week. I don't even bother with a filter or anything on them - it just doesn't seem worth it. And, if you're going to divide it up, I wouldn't mess with a filter either, because the smallest I'd divide that is in half for 2 compartments - then if you have a filter, one of the 2 of them needs to get blown around all the time.

Come to think of it, the 5G one might be much better and then the filter would be fine. :)

I honestly would only divide it twice, and not bother with filtration and just do regular water changes.

I had my 2.5g divided in two once with a filter and a boy on either side, and it was a disaster.
Next time you go to look at the tank, take a ruler with you. Mentally picture it being divided into 4 3inch sections, since a 2.5 rectangle tank is 12 inches long. That's really not too much swimming space for a betta, despite it being 0.8 of a gallon compared to a 1 gallon bowl..

Your bettas would be living in spaces 3 inches long, 6 inches deep, and 7 inches high. It's larger than a beanie box I suppose, but by no means permanent living space.

In my opinion, anyway.

Yeah, I have to agree with that.
I actually have one of those tanks here with Jasper in it, and I can't imagine cutting his living space into fourths.
That'd be pretty darn teeny.
I would consider splitting a 10G tank into fourths, but not a 2.5 I guess.

Most reactions

Back