2,000 Liter Discus Tank

keep a eye on those stems, as they get to the surface you will end up with bushy tips and straggly bases!
keep them trimmed nicely to help them fill out, then replant the cuttings
smile.png

rms said:
I've just read your journal from start to finish. Absolutely stunning tank set up and fish. Truely incredible skill, especially to be able to add discus to a tank that was only properly running for a day <scoops jaw up from the floor>.... I'm a complete beginner, but something I am aiming for is a discus tank, but not for some time mind. For now I'm quite content with what I have and waiting until I know what I'm doing. Could be some time...!!

I have a couple of questions about your CO2 set up. Sorry, my brain is a sponge.... From what I gather you're stabalising your ph level with CO2 so do you keep this system running over night instead of turning off the CO2 like lots of people? Do you use an air pump over night when the lights are out, or does your refugium provide enough for the tank seeing as the plants there are photosynthesizing 24/7? Lastly, how did you reduce your natural ph level to 5.9? I got the peat filtration part, but is there anything else you're using?

Not sure if journal threads are meant to be bombarded with questions so apologies if they're not and I'll just pipe down. Your journal is incredibly inspiring, informative and a joy to read. Thank you for keeping it going and I can see I'm not alone in hoping it continues.
Hi rms, Thanks for the nice comments. Obviously I was quite careful moving the fish, and the tank had been running with some mature media mixed in with new media, for a couple of weeks. This helped seed the bacteria into the new media much faster. I then moved all the media from my old filter when the fish moved. I have also been doing regular water changes, which I hope to reduce over time. The fish are as healthy as they have ever been, so I must have got something right 
wink.png

To try to answer your question on the Co2..... The Co2 is the only thing that I am using to control the pH. I have no buffers or acid additives. I have an electronic pH controller, this has a sensor in the sump which is reading the pH value. In turn, this sensor is plugged into the controller. The controller I have set at 5.9(via the adjustment screw). The controller is connected to the solenoid valve on the Co2 regulator. When the pH drops to 5.9 the controller cuts power to the solenoid valve and it closes, thus stopping the Co2. Likewise, when the pH level goes above 5.9 the controller powers the solenoid and opens the valve, so the gas flows again. So in short, the Co2 is delivered as required, night and day. This is actually very efficient, as there are times even during the day when it stops the gas. Obviously it is on less at night, as the plants aren't sucking it up. I am about to change the refugium lights to have them on only at night, and off all day, as I want to see if there is any negative(or positive effects).

Ask as many questions as you like! The whole idea of these forums is to share ideas, experiences and knowledge
smartass.gif

Nick16 said:
keep a eye on those stems, as they get to the surface you will end up with bushy tips and straggly bases!
keep them trimmed nicely to help them fill out, then replant the cuttings
smile.png
They will be getting a trim on Saturday 
good.gif

Xzavier247 said:
Looks amazing.
Thanks man!

Awesome looking tank, I don't know why but I love how the moss is tied to the wood, looks like it been growing there for years and natural too. When I tie moss it looks shocking then dies lol.

I have a question about your DIY inline diffuser, how did you attach the check valve to the pipe? just drill a hole and push it in or use some silicone or something lol. Does it leak at all?

Cheers.

Fluval-1200 said:
Awesome looking tank, I don't know why but I love how the moss is tied to the wood, looks like it been growing there for years and natural too. When I tie moss it looks shocking then dies lol.

I have a question about your DIY inline diffuser, how did you attach the check valve to the pipe? just drill a hole and push it in or use some silicone or something lol. Does it leak at all?

Cheers.
Cheers. To fit that check valve I drilled a hole in the pipe the same size as the valve fitting, so that it was a tight fit. Then added some epoxy glue to hold it in place and seal it, so no leaks. 

DevotedToDiscus said:

Ask as many questions as you like! The whole idea of these forums is to share ideas, experiences and knowledge
smartass.gif

Thanks for the detailed response. I've read so much about Co2 in the tank, but nothing has ever pointed to maintaining pH levels. It's very useful to know for someone aspiring to a discus tank as this seems to me the trickiest part about achieving that. Many thanks. I'd be very interested to know the effect of turning off the refugium lights during the day.

Still a burning question from me, does the refugium supply the necessary oxygen during the night for the tank instead of using an air pump/stone. I read so much about oxygen reaching dangerously low levels for fish in planted tanks in the night because when plants stop photosynthesising they stop producing oxygen, but still respire and can use up the oxygen the fish need. I only ever hear that an air stone will reduce the risk of your fish suffocating. Does the refugium feed the tank with oxygen at night when the plants there are still photosynthesising, thus removing the need for an air pump/stone in the main tank? I hope that makes sense 
confused.gif

huh.png
I meant to quote a lot more than what turned up there above.....
blush.png

RMS, without wanting to open a debate on oxygen exchange in water. The oxygen is generally absorbed through the waters surface. The function of the air pump in an aquarium is to cause water circulation. This pushes the water from the bottom of the tank up to the surface, where it can then absorb oxygen from contact with the atmosphere. This can be increased through surface agitation(as caused by filter spray bars, etc.). With regard to my own tank, I have a lot of surface area combined between the tank and the refugium, plus the fact that the water cascades down the overflow box which cause a lot of agitation. This means that there is a lot of oxygen exchange between the water and atmosphere. The bubbles coming from an air pump don't really dissolve very much oxygen directly, it is just the by product of the water movement caused by the bubbles pushing the water around the tank. 

As for the plants, they do contribute oxygen through photosynthesis under the lights, but also release Co2 during darkness. So hence my idea to flip flop the lights, so that the refugium plants are adding a little Co2 during the day, and also not sucking up the nutrients needed by the tank plants. There are differing chains of thoughts on this, but I want to experiment, and see what works best for me. I will see what the results are and post them here.

Apologies. Last thing I wanted to start is a debate. That's why I wasn't sure if my questions were being raised in the right place. Thanks all the same for answering :)

rms said:
Apologies. Last thing I wanted to start is a debate. That's why I wasn't sure if my questions were being raised in the right place. Thanks all the same for answering
smile.png
No worries mate. Am happy to share any useful experience I might have 
smile.png

DevotedToDiscus said:

Cheers.
Cheers. To fit that check valve I drilled a hole in the pipe the same size as the valve fitting, so that it was a tight fit. Then added some epoxy glue to hold it in place and seal it, so no leaks. 

Thanks for the info, going to give it a go.

Unfortunately I had to order some Assassin snails! The little snails are snacking on my Anubius now, and I have a heart of stone! So they are soon to meet their maker! Assassins will arrive Wednesday........Nom Nom Nom!!!!

Am a fan of Assassin Snails 
smile.png

Had a bunch of pond snails that arrived via a plant or two!

Assassin keep these under control, in fact I get some free snails from LFS to give assassins a feast sometimes!

Started with 2 now got about 12! 
laugh.png

Ch4rlie said:
Am a fan of Assassin Snails 
smile.png

Had a bunch of pond snails that arrived via a plant or two!

Assassin keep these under control, in fact I get some free snails from LFS to give assassins a feast sometimes!

Started with 2 now got about 12! 
laugh.png
They will be getting a veritable banquet when they arrive!!!
pepsi.gif

Plants are looking super nice! Stems are 3 feet long! Did some trimming and re-planting of the clippings. Just wish i had planted the stems at the outlet end of the tank. As the flow from the inlet was making them tangle. I have adjusted the inlet pipes a bit to try to cure this. The Anubius are glowing, but I have too much light on my moss. It is starting to look like a ginger after a holiday in Spain! I will either fix it with some re-position, or add some plants for shade.

Added a timer to the refugium lights, so that they are now on the opposite cycle to the tank lights. Refugium on at night. The plants in the refugium are just a big massive ball now, and somehow there was some duckweed, which totally took over!! I netted out enough to sink the navy today! However, it is all good, because the water is crystal!

I had a little bit of what might have looked like diatoms, but killed it with hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. So it's gone now. The tank looks great, and so clean. Discus won't stop laying eggs! Wish they would actually, as it just causes squabbles.

Just need my Assassin Snails to arrive!!!!!!

Some rubbish pics of my plants taken with my camera phone! (Note to self, go buy a camera you cheap old man!)

photo3_zps8ca4a175.jpg
[/URL]

photo1_zpse4cf88f7.jpg
[/URL]

photo2_zps4e7707bb.jpg
[/URL]

Your fish are looking super healthy! 

Nice! 
yes.gif

Most reactions

Back