10 Gallon Tank Is This Ok?

joshjames

Fishaholic
Reaction score
would 3-4 platies b ok wiv 3-4 cherry barbs and 3 amano shrimp in a 10 gallon tank
thanxz :good:

no that would be overstocking a 10gal. the 3-4 platies will be good enough tho (1 male to every 3 females)
or you can do the 3 cherry barbs
or shrimps

i wouldn't do all of those in a small 10gal tank.

It's fine, providing you dont get lazy and forget to do water changes weekly ^_^

Yes its fine to put three platies in 10gal with the barbs, as long as the platies are males. I don't see any overstocking issues here.

a 10gal should only hold about 5 2inch fish in my opinion. and i recommend getting females not male platies.

a 10gal should only hold about 5 2inch fish in my opinion. and i recommend getting females not male platies.

The formulaic approach is fine as a guide, but, as Neale has pointed out previously 5.25 inches of single fish is a very different proposition to 5x 1.05 inch fishes.

You can also increase the number of fish if you are super in the fish husbandry department and only you will know if you are going to be able to keep up the cleaning regime. I know that I am not that regimented and overstocking along with my more relaxed husbandry would lead to undoubted problems but as long as you keep up with the cleaning and waterchanges etc then you should be OK.

So, armed with all the good advice already given, you should be able to decide on the appropriate stocking levels.

i hav some platies which i hav bred and i think most if not all are female cos they are fairly big now.
i already have 3 amano shrimp with them so i want to get rid of the platies except 3 or 4 and get 3-4 cherry barbs
y do i hav to hav female or male platies
doe sit really matter what sex?
i am quite good with water changes so that will not b a problem
thanx :good:

10 gallon tank can hold up to 10 fish and a couple of small bottom dwellers (like pygmy corys)..

As long as you have a well established filter and do weekly water changes, its fine.

Do you want breeding platies or what? If not, you should have male platies only, instead of females. Cherry barbs don't actively prey on platy fry very often. If you want breeding, then two females and a male platies are required.

i hav around 30 baby female platies and want to keep 3-4 ov them.
y do u have to have male platies wiv cherry barbs? :hyper:

i hav around 30 baby female platies and want to keep 3-4 ov them.
y do u have to have male platies wiv cherry barbs? :hyper:

josh i think its just so that they dont have fry, its easy to get overstocked in a small tank, even if you dont have males the females could be pregnant when you get them unless you buy them very young. You have a lot of female, do you have any males in with them ?? di

i hav sexed them and im pretty posotive all of them are female.
i no they are not pregnant cos they hav only ever lived wiv females.
so im ok wiv
3 female platies
4 cherry barbs 1 male 3 female
3 amano shrimp
:shout: ???????????????????????????

JoshJames, your female platies are not all females. The young ones that all look like females have just not developed their typical sex characteristics yet. As they begin to reach a mature size, some of them will turn out to be males. The lack of obvious males in livebearers is normal in platies, swords, endlers, guppies and mollies. In swords it is so extreme that lots of people will tell you they change gender and are fertile afterwards.
I have 5 swords that I got when they were very young. All look like females right now although they are about 2 1/2 inches long. As they mature, there is one that I am fairly sure will turn out to be a male but at a glance he looks like a female from the shape of his anal fin and the fact that he has no sword. He is only about 4 or 5 months old and just needs a little more time to mature, but I can already see the beginning of a slightly thicker bottom ray on his tail and a slightly heavier leading edge to his anal fin. A month from now most people will be able to easily see that he is a male but today it still takes some studying and I can't be certain.

thanx 4 the help oldman47
u r definatly right cos some of them i cant tell wat is wat
ill probz keep 3-4 of the females and giv all the rest to the lfs
:hyper: :hyper:

Most reactions

Back