10 Gallon saltwater

325Pilot

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I am goin to have the 10 gallon tank in my sig. freed up after one of my freshwater fish heals. I know that small saltwaters are not reccomended, but I seem to be naturally gifted at keeping tropical fish happy, as I started out with that 10 gallon and later found that some of the fish I was keeping were very difficult to keep alive and well. So I was thinking of trying my hand at doing a small saltwater tank with one or two small fish, just to get my feet wet, as I have been scared by saltwater for years. I have hardly any knowledge of saltwater tanks so I have some questions.

1. Is this feasable?

2. Would the biowheel be enough filtration, and if not, what should I have?

3. Do I need powerheads to push the water around?

4. Is it harder to have liverock in a saltwater tank, or easier? I have heard both.

5. What is live sand and is it neccessary?

6. If I should have liverock, how much?

7. What are a few examples of hardy, easy, colorful fish that would be happy alone in a 10 gallon?

Any other input is more than welcome, these are just some questions that I have after reading a couple of articles on the internet, I know there are probably other questions that I haven't asked, so any input is welcome!

Yes, it is feasible!!!
Check out the "running a nano without a skimmer or filtration" post.
I'm not familiar with a bio-wheel so someone else will have to answer that one. In a tank that small a powerhead would be OK but I'd go with a small one.
Live rock is easy you put it in and it's there that's all there is to it.
Live sand and live rock for that matter hold the bacteria necessary to turn all the nasty fish droppings in to nutrients that make the algae grow. And yes you do want the "higher" Macro algaes in your tank. For live rock figure on about a pound per gallon you can use one large piece and a lot of various sized rubble to "landscape" your tank.
Hearty easy fish that like to be alone. NO problem ANY DAMSEL will do. They are very hearty Very territorial and come in a variety on colors.
Since you already keep fish I'm hoping you have a good Live Fish Store with knowledgeable people to help you along. The advice you get from them should be balanced with what you read on the forums and what you will gain from talking to other fish people, customers, at the store.
Go for it and keep us posted on your progress.
Luck
Raki :kana:

I think that I will, thanks for your reply Raki. When you say that a powerhead would be OK, does that mean that I shouldn't have one? I don't already have one, but I read some stuff on the internet that it is good to have a strong current going in a marine tank. I have many GREAT LFSs around. I like the forums, because I can get a lot of, hopfully, knowledgeable opinions

Thanks for your help!
Brian Jagger

10 Gallons which i assume is USA gallons looking from your location. This equates to 8.3 Imp gallons. If you take out a couple of gallons for displacement and this recudes to 6.3 gallons.

If you intend ot keep higher forms of macro algea, (or any algea for that matter) then i would procedd with extreem caution. Salt water is naturally a poor carrier of oxygen, tropical water is even worse, if you have macro algea then at night they could suffocate your fish (or at least place extreem stress on them each night (which might explain a few case of whitespot breakout in what looks a healthy tank)).
(This is one of the reasons why nanos are not beginners tanks due to fine tuning of perameteres).

A damsel in this size tank will be trouble IMO. Damsels grow too large for a tank this size and the oxygen they use will be an important factor too .

A tank this size is far better for a small goby, a clown goby or similar would be good. Perhps a dottyback or even a firefish will be better suited for this size. They dont grow large and are not reagt swimmers when it comes to territorial boundaries.

I would not bother with livesand in a tnak this small. Liverock will quikly seed the sand over the course of maturing so this will save some money.
Circulation is important so adding a powerhead will be advisable. Look to 10x volume minimum. 10 gallon (usa) needs a pump that can kick out 100 gallons (usa) minimum.

My biowheel claims to turn over 100 GPH usa, is this suffiecient circulation? Why do saltwate tanks like to have so much circulation?

Just look at the envrinment that the fish etc live in.
THe one thing that "we" as hobbiests cannot match in our home tanks is the power of the sea across the reef. The movement on a reef is tremendous and even the most poweful of our powerheads just cannot replicate this.

If you have ever dived on a reef you will know that unless you are very careful, the sea will easily push you onto the corals and rip you up badly. This is all down to the power of the surges in a reef area.

I just started my 10 gallon after raising fw for 3 years. I just run a powerhead (penquin 550) in my tank wit no fllter. Different ppl have their opinions on fish...I have a false perc (clown) in my 10 gallon and some say I can actually add one more fish that is smaller than 2 inches. I personally dont like damsels...too much of a hassel and very territoral and hard to catch once in your tank. You can also get a goby and shrimp pair...those are cool to watch.

I have about 10 puonds of live sand and 10 pounds of liverock. Are you just gonna put fish or are u thinkin about puttin corals too. Cause I think corals would look really nice in a 10 gallon...if u do make sure u get a good light. I got a 96watt Coralife.

Good luck...keep us posted.
also Reef Central and Nano-Reef are really great forums for saltwater tanks...they helped me alot

Nat

nan0nat you dont have a skimmer? Also you do have a type of fliter your live rock is a type of fliter. Also if you dont put a skimmer on your tank your fish will start to get sick and die. Just due to the fact that you are leaving a lot of bad stuff in your tank i have tried that when i first started sw and it dont work for long. Ive been doing sw for 19 years and i dont that for a fact. Im not saying i know everything but you must have a skimmer.

Now 325pliot if this is your first saltwater tank i wouldnt suggest doing a 10 gallon it can be alot of work on a small tank also there isnt no room for error. well heres answers to your questions.

1. Is this feasable? It can be but i wouldnt suggest it for a beginner.

2. Would the biowheel be enough filtration, and if not, what should I have?
No a biowheel is not enough you need atleast a skimmer. You can also use a biowheel if you want but its not needed

3. Do I need powerheads to push the water around?
Yes you should have atleast 1 in a 10 gallon tank cause in the wild there is a natural current in the ocean if you dont give that it can cause stress and cause your fish to get sick.

4. Is it harder to have liverock in a saltwater tank, or easier? I have heard both.
Its not realy hard. It can just be very expense. Ive spent over $20,000 on live rock alone for my tanks.

5. What is live sand and is it neccessary?
Live sand has bacteria and things living in it that will help your tank. It is not neccessary but will help your tank. You could go bare bottom, use crushed coral, or sand, or a mixture of both those.

6. If I should have liverock, how much?
In a 10 gallon tank i wouldnt suggest any more then two 2-3 inch fish.

7. What are a few examples of hardy, easy, colorful fish that would be happy alone in a 10 gallon?

As far as hardy goes its kinda depends on the eyes of the be holder. Most hardy fish are damsels they are usualy used to cycle tanks. Most clowns are hardy but some should only be put in a older tank. In a 10 gallon tank you dont have to many chooses.

I would like to agree with Chris777 on all his comments when directed at this particular tank in question.
A skimmer and liverock is probably the most important purchase that can be made for it IMO.

However, tanks can be run without a skimmer and run very effectively. WHilst its true, the tank here will be hard to work over a period of time without one, larger tanks that can incorperate natural means of nutrient extraction can survive and thrive without a skimmer.

Most reactions

Back