10 gal stocking?

Feathers_and_fins

Reaction score
I have a single betta in a heavily planted 10 gallon and I’m wondering if there’s anything else I can put in the tank besides snails and shrimp. I’ve heard mixed messages, few saying a small school of day Pygmy corys could do well or a different schooling fish, others saying a 10 gallon would be overstocked if I added any other fish. I want some more opinions tho. I’m totally chill if there’s nothing else I can add. I’d hate to mess up parameters or cause stress to my fish

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Bettas are best kept on their own because they are territorial. Some might be peaceful, but others can snap and kill anything you put in there. So shrimp or snails can usually be kept with them, but no other fish.

Welcome to TFF.

Colin is bang on. Assuming this is a male betta, this is a very territorial species. The male considers the space he lives in as strictly his. He may defend his space voraciously (this is normal), or he may for some reason be less inclined to do so--though this can suddenly change overnight, several members here have posted about this sudden change and dead fish.

Pygmy cories are not advisable because their very nature causes them to explore the entire tank space from the surface to the substrate, and they will bumble into the betta's territory and it could be game over.

Most reactions

Back