1 gallon tank

Johnny V

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, my girlfriend just got a 1 gallon tank as a gift (with a little mini filter and light). what would be a few fish that could withstand such unstable conditions? (has a really good filter for such a small tank so waste isn't really an issue)

How about shrimps, or a dwarf frog? :)

Yeah, just tell her to get a betta. It would make a nice dwarf frog tank, though. If the light is bright enough she can grow some Java Moss or some other small, easy to take care of plant.

You could keep...

1 betta (either male OR female), or
2 african dwarf frogs, or
2-4 ghost shrimp

Most other small fish (such as tetras, white clouds, danios, and livebearers) should be kept in larger groups and need more swimming room than a one gallon tank would provide.

If you want plants...

I take it your filter is an undergravel one? If so, keeping plants will be a bit harder but it can be done. Anubias var. nana and java fern would be perfect for that size tank, especially because you'll have low-lighting. Both of these should be tied down to a piece of driftwood, because they will rot if their roots are covered. This can be done with fishing line. Java moss can be trained to cover the gravel of the tank... you just need to weight it down until it can anchor itself. Small varieties of cryptocoryne can be placed in tiny flower pots (if you place them directly in the gravel, the undergravel filter may slow their growth).

Since it's such a small tank, you mite have trouble gettting a heater, unless you live in America (most likely) and you can get everything from Walmart (grr... why is everything so cheap over there?!). For a tank that size, I'd get one online.

If you put in a betta, you will need to have some way to keep the temperature stable - I personally think its a bit small even for a betta.

Most reactions

Back