Why does my Red Cap Oranga goldfish has black spots on her body and it's spreading

sema

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My red cap oranga goldfish has been having these red spots. It started still on her red cap and now it spread to her body.

The change happened in the past 5 months.

Can you tell me is it a reason for concern and what can I do to help the fish.

Thanks
20240406_001712.jpg
20240406_001754.jpg
20240406_001712.jpg

It looks like normal pigment development to me. She's getting her colours.

It looks like normal pigment development to me. She's getting her colours.
Hi GaryE. Thank you for replying. I am complete beginner when it comes to golden fish, but your answer helped. So, can you tell me what is going to happen next so I don't get surprised like this. I thought she is sick.

The black on the fins and head is normal colouration as mentioned by Gary. The black near its butt could be colouration or chemical burns, which appear as black on fish. However, the fact it has black pigment coming in on the head and tail would suggest the black on the body is just colouration too.

Chemical burns can be from ammonia, nitrite, really high nitrate, chlorine, chloramine, or overdosing medications or plant fertilisers. As long as you don't have any ammonia or nitrite in the water and the nitrate is less than 20ppm, and you dechlorinate new water before adding it to the tank, and you don't overdose medications or plant fertilisers, you are unlikely to see chemical burns on fish.

On a side note, the water in the picture looks a bit milky cloudy and this is usually caused by uneaten food rotting in the tank and a new filter. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the water looks clear and no longer has a milky cloudy appearance to it.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the aquarium.

If it's a newly set up aquarium, you should check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH every few days to make sure there water is free of these things.

Most reactions

Back