Well, I just bought a colony of 1000 Scuds...

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I've had a tank ready for them for a while now ( a 10 gallon )... I'll likely feed about half of them, & add the rest to my tank for breeding...

anyone else play with Scuds???
I got mine from here... hoping everything goes well...

well, just after I bought a colony of 1000... from the source listed above, I see Dan's has Scuds listed for sale... lacking information on how many is in a group he's selling, but he has an interesting video of raising them, & harvesting them, as feed for your fish... it answers a lot of questions...

I'm guessing it's a guesstimated amount... even if they were actually counted, there would have to be a high margin for error

I’ve tried to culture wild scuds several times - but not hard enough to get them going.

I'm guessing it's a guesstimated amount... even if they were actually counted, there would have to be a high margin for error
Weight I would bet. 1000 scuds sounds better than XX ounces or grams though,

My scuds are expected to be here Thursday this week...

the semi local pet store took in / traded my Jewel Cichlid they sold me as a Fire Mouth, for a bag of Rosy minnows for feed for my Bichir... I had bought what was supposed to be 3 Fire Mouth Cichlids, but this thing killed the other 2... but that now frees up one of my holding tanks... but I have a tank ready for the scuds, & will be moving my sponge filter from my newly set up 45 gallon, into the scud tank, as that tank is fully cycled... scud tank already has a sponge filter in it, but hasn't had any fish in that tank, since I moved the 3 Blue Acaras into the 45 gallon ( 3-4 weeks ago now )

watching the video from Dan's that I linked above, I have a bag of frozen butter nut squash cubes... the forked cubes looked like a particularly easy way to feed them...

I'm guessing my larger Angel fish that was hunting my smaller cardinal tetras will love hunting these guys... and maybe with regular feeding of scuds... just maybe I'll be able to try Cardinals again????

Last edited:
My scuds are expected to be here Thursday this week...

the semi local pet store took in / traded my Jewel Cichlid they sold me as a Fire Mouth, for a bag of Rosy minnows for feed for my Bichir... I had bought what was supposed to be 3 Fire Mouth Cichlids, but this thing killed the other 2... but that now frees up one of my holding tanks... but I have a tank ready for the scuds, & will be moving my sponge filter from my newly set up 45 gallon, into the scud tank, as that tank is fully cycled... scud tank already has a sponge filter in it, but hasn't had any fish in that tank, since I moved the 3 Blue Acaras into the 45 gallon ( 3-4 weeks now )

watching the video from Dan's that I linked above, I have a bag of frozen butter nut squash cubes... the forked cubes looked like a particularly easy way to feed them...

I'm guessing my larger Angel fish that was hunting my smaller cardinal tetras will love4 hunting these guys... and maybe with regular feeding of scuds... just maybe I'll be able to try Cardinals again????
Please share your scud raising adventure as you proceed. They live under the rocks in the shallow rapids where I fly fish. I might try my hand at raising them. I tie flies to mimic scuds because they are good trout bait, but TBH I did not know that feeding them to tropical fish was even a thing until a month ago. I had never seen cultures for sale before, that I remember anyway.

I've linked 2 sellers... Dan's is one of, if not the best seller of aquarium fish in the US...

Goliad Farms is a new seller to me, they have decent reviews, & have displayed good communication thus far... but I should see on Thursday...

Most reactions

Back