😳 🐍 SNAKE 🐍 😳

I spent most of my life wandering around the bush looking under plants and collecting things from the wild and have never been bitten by any critters in the wild, apart from the odd ant. I spent years in rivers, creeks and streams, and splashing about in the ocean and never got attacked by anything there except a jellyfish. I have been attacked by dogs on over 50 occasions whilst walking around the neighbourhood and I have been attacked by people too.
I feel the same, I don't feel secure in the city.

I think we can overreact a bit. When I was a kid, black widow spiders were presented as man eating killing machines
Funny that, when I moved to Canada all the kids were afraid of black widows. When living in California as a young kid we used to get our bug jar and see how many black widows we could catch, which after showing to my dad he would make me let them go. The only time I found black widows in BC is in the entrance to a storm sewer that I was exploring in Victoria, they are here but not common, at least in my experience.

I feel the same, I don't feel secure in the city.

Funny that, when I moved to Canada all the kids were afraid of black widows. When living in California as a young kid we used to get our bug jar and see how many black widows we could catch, which after showing to my dad he would make me let them go. The only time I found black widows in BC is in the entrance to a storm sewer that I was exploring in Victoria, they are here but not common, at least in my experience.
My mom found a black widow in a bag of charcoal while lighting the grill one time. She sprayed an entire can of lighter fluid into the bag and threw a match in it, right out there on the lawn. After it burned down, she beat the ashes with a broom.

Didn't much care for spiders, my mom.

The only critter that caused me any great harm was a brown recluse spider. The wound was a long time healing and initially melted my flesh. Extreme pain for many days and I still carry a scar.

I always wear gloves when working where I cannot see.

Most reactions

Back