[rant] guppy fry tank _stinks_

vince82

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon with.. 50? 60? guppy fry and I have been feeding them powder food twice a day and occasionally BBS..
I have been changing 50% water every week. I had no deaths in the frys, they seem happy.. They range in age from 4 weeks to 3 days old.

But I went to change the water today and it was bad. Stank like a sewer. I am surprised they are all still alive.
I did my 50% change and I added a oversized hang on the back filter in addition to the already present sponge filter..

I haven't even bothered testing the water to be honest because that is pretty clear there is everything above limits. And more than 50% water change seems not advisable...
But I will do another 50% tomorrow. And the day after probably..

Anyway, this is just a rant about the annoying part of raising fry :)

Definitely water changes, also gravel cleaning and filter cleaning will help, but yes it is work. PolyFilter or carbon may reduce the smell.

I used to do a 50-75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day or every couple of days on my rearing tanks. More frequent water changes and gravel cleaning help keep compensate for all the food going into the tank.

Most reactions

Back