Rainbowfish art

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Some art of various species of rainbowfish. (In order, Lake Kurumoi rainbowfish, Parkinson's rainbowfish, red neon rainbowfish, Lake Kutubu rainbowfish, Boeseman's rainbowfish)
WIN_20230818_18_49_06_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230818_18_25_02_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230818_11_33_20_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230818_11_53_48_Pro.jpg
rainbow.jpg

These are great! Love the digital painting of the Bosemani the way you've done the colours is very expressive!

Melanotaenia lacustris (Lake Kutubu rainbow) normally has a silvery white belly and is quite high in the body.

Melanotaenia parkinsoni should not have a lyre tail. That is a genetic defect caused by inbreeding and lack of genetic variation. A few slightly longer filaments on the lower lobe of the tail were noticed in the late 80s, early 90s and if fish have a lyre tail now, that is from then.

With male rainbowfish, the first dorsal fin should overlap the start of the second dorsal fin. Poor quality fish (usually inbred stock found in Australia) will have a shorter first dorsal fin that does not touch or overlap the second dorsal fin.

The second dorsal fin and anal fin will be longer and pointed on males, and shorter and more rounded on females.

For inspiration check out Melanotaenia lacustris in the following link. They really are a stunning fish :)

Melanotaenia lacustris (Lake Kutubu rainbow) normally has a silvery white belly and is quite high in the body.

Melanotaenia parkinsoni should not have a lyre tail. That is a genetic defect caused by inbreeding and lack of genetic variation. A few slightly longer filaments on the lower lobe of the tail were noticed in the late 80s, early 90s and if fish have a lyre tail now, that is from then.

With male rainbowfish, the first dorsal fin should overlap the start of the second dorsal fin. Poor quality fish (usually inbred stock found in Australia) will have a shorter first dorsal fin that does not touch or overlap the second dorsal fin.

The second dorsal fin and anal fin will be longer and pointed on males, and shorter and more rounded on females.

For inspiration check out Melanotaenia lacustris in the following link. They really are a stunning fish :)
I know, I found a parkinsoni image on Aquadiction which shows the lyretail. I have tried to draw them on reference images. It's just my shading and stuff that happens. Is my art good?

Most reactions

Back