Is my corymbosa compact melting?

Thermal

Reaction score
I've recently set up this new 5 gallon blackwater tank. 2 days in, and I've noticed one of my Corymbosa Compact plants have started getting random holes on the leaves, mostly the larger ones.
IMG_20240503_131556.jpg
IMG20240503215524.jpg

(The leaves are closed right now since I've turned the lights off a few hours ago) Not sure if these are emersed leaves melting while the plant is transitioning for submerged growth, or if there is something wrong with the water (maybe unsuitable parameters for the plant, or a deficieny)

Here are the tank parameters:
- Light: Full spectrum grow light bulb, 20 Par, 9watts, 900 lumens, 4000K
- The pH is 6.5 (don't have a measurement for other water hardness)
- Temp at 28°C, 82F
- No CO2, Filter
- Using rainwater, mixed with tap water (treated with water conditioner)

Also there are two Corymbosa plants there, both have a space of 7 inches vertically, and 5-6 inches squared around the stems. Are those enough space for them? The substrate is a 2 inch layer of organic soil, capped with 2 inch of pool filter sand + crushed lava rocks.

I've had this plant in pretty much all my past planted aquariums. Every time there have been holes in some leaves. I could never find out what caused it. It would be interesting to know what causes it and if it's preventable. Hopefully someone will reply with an answer :)

I've had this plant in pretty much all my past planted aquariums. Every time there have been holes in some leaves. I could never find out what caused it. It would be interesting to know what causes it and if it's preventable. Hopefully someone will reply with an answer :)
was it only the corymbosa plants that got holes? Because that's what's happening in my tank from what I've observed, everyone else's leaves seems to be doing fine. I really just hope it's them transitioning for underwater growth, or adapting to a new environment. Btw how are your corymbosa plants holding up after the holes thing?

A lack of potassium and / or CO2 imbalance is a common culprit for holes in leave.

But never neglect that some herbivorous critters could be munching on them.

Always hard to say, both problems often starts at the edge of the leaves. But some are more evident because of the way the leaves are munched.

was it only the corymbosa plants that got holes? Because that's what's happening in my tank from what I've observed, everyone else's leaves seems to be doing fine. I really just hope it's them transitioning for underwater growth, or adapting to a new environment. Btw how are your corymbosa plants holding up after the holes thing?
No, my repens are doing the same. But that may be down to me trimming it to create a carpet of them. The corymbosa is doing ok originally had 3 plants now down to one as 2 got covered in blue-green algae. But it's been growing new leaves since I moved the plant into the center of the tank almost 2 weeks ago now I think. The lower leaves seem to have more holes I've noticed.

Attachments

• repens.jpg
    repens.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 5
  • corymbosa.jpg
    corymbosa.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 5

Most reactions

Back