How do i get rid of algae in my tank

aidendl23

Reaction score
My tank got in really bad condition because i couldnt afford any filters or anything since i wasnt working and the fish where getting neglected. i got a job and with my first pay check i got everything sorted new filters fish scrapers ect and started to cut the tank. the water is now healthy but on the rocks and ornaments there is SOOOO much algae it looks so dirty. i boiled a few kettles and let an ornement sit in boiling water for a few hours and it didnt even make a dent. Can anyone give me some advice?

Algae on decor, wood, rock, etc is usually hard to remove, and generally best left alone. Getting the biological system back in condition as you are doing will help prevent more, depending upon the system and the algae species. Removal is usually by hand, or a scraper. The boiling probably killed it, but it will often remain attached; black brush algae is like this.

You could get some shrimp and snails and they will probably help eat the algae. If you go to any pet store they will most likely have ghost shrimp, they are used as feeder shrimp and are really cheap ($1 for 10 ghost shrimp), just make sure they look healthy as they usually don't keep them in the best of conditions.

I was just coming here to ask about the same thing. If Shrimp eat algae I think I'll be getting some to see if they help. Finally got my tanks water cleared up after setting back up my larger tank and now I have an algae problem. :confused:

There are many animals that will eat some algae, but I find that buying an animal for that specific purpose is usually a mistake. Algae happens and it is part of a healthy ecosystem. Excess algae is caused by an imbalance of light and nutrients. Often simply reducing nutrients (in other words, keep fewer fish, feed them less, and do more water changes) will help the problem greatly. Reducing light can help too. So can adding live plants.

I was just coming here to ask about the same thing. If Shrimp eat algae I think I'll be getting some to see if they help. Finally got my tanks water cleared up after setting back up my larger tank and now I have an algae problem. :confused:

"Algae" can mean different things to different aquarists. I like to separate algae into the common normal algae that is present in all healthy aquaria, but not really seen most of the time. Opposite to this, are what I term "problem" algae, which was what the initial poster of this thread was experiencing. It is the problem algae that needs handling. In planted tanks it is caused by an imbalance in the light/nutrients, and the only way to deal with it is to establish or restore the balance so this type of algae will not increase. In non-planted tanks, it is again caused by the light and nutrients, but here there are no plants that can out-compete it, so it is a different issue.

Shrimp can help with the common unseen algae. They will not do much if anything for real problem algae. And as Whistling Badger said, do not acquire a fish or other lifeform to solve a problem; these fish bring with them specific needs, and may not fit the tank, and in almost all cases they will be inadequate anyway.

This was very general, but if you can provide data on the tank (planted? Light? Fertilizers?) we may have some ideas.

My tank got in really bad condition because i couldnt afford any filters or anything since i wasnt working and the fish where getting neglected. i got a job and with my first pay check i got everything sorted new filters fish scrapers ect and started to cut the tank. the water is now healthy but on the rocks and ornaments there is SOOOO much algae it looks so dirty. i boiled a few kettles and let an ornement sit in boiling water for a few hours and it didnt even make a dent. Can anyone give me some advice?
I put dirty ornaments outside in the Texas sun and in a couple of weeks they are clean

Hello. Changing more tank water and doing this more often will help reduce algae and costs next to nothing. Reduce the amount of food you feed the fish. This reduction in food costs nothing and really is a money saver. Some algae is good. There's not a better water filter.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Ugh, algaeā€”such a frustrating aquarium nuisance! Been there. Here's what helped me. For a balanced aquatic haven, start by maintaining optimal water conditionsā€”test and adjust pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Tame the lighting situation, providing 8-10 hours of light per day and steering clear of direct sunlight. Opt for lights that won't throw an algae party. Regular water changes and gravel vacuuming are your allies, ridding the tank of excess nutrients and debris. Embrace aquatic plantsā€”they're not just pretty but also competition for algae in the nutrient department. Consider enlisting algae-eating fish or snails as your clean-up crew. Chemical treatments can help, but moderation is key. Practice mindful feeding to prevent overindulgence and manual removal of algae during water changes for those stubborn spots. It's a process, but with patience and these adjustments, your aquarium will be algae-free and thriving.

Most reactions

Back