Help with cyanobacteria blooms. Potential shrimp aid?

Seisage

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Curious about ways to deal with a cyanobacteria issue in a tank I've adopted from an acquaintance. I've already manually cleaned out most of it and will continue vacuuming the gravel and doing water changes, but I couldn't get it all and I can tell it's starting to creep back a bit after only a day. The tank was overfed before I got it, so I'm cutting back on feedings to try to limit nutrient input. I'm hopeful that this will be the primary solution, but I'm wondering if shrimp might help as well. I've heard they won't actually eat the cyanobacteria, but would their sifting around in the gravel help break up the colonies?

My shrimp do not touch cyano-bacteria. Best course from my experience is to reduce the nutrient load if high, but also, paradoxically increase the nutrient load if it is very low. For me I reduced the light from 11 hours a day to 9 hours and kept with weekly 50% changes. It took about 3 months but the tank where it was a problem no longer has the outbreak.

Last edited:
My shrimp do not touch cyano-bacteria. Best course from my experience is to reduce the nutrient load if high, but also, paradoxically increase the nutrient load if it is very low. For me I reduced the light from 11 hours a day to 9 hours and kept with weekly 50% changes. It took about 3 months but the tank where it was a problem no longer has the outbreak.
Thanks! I've done a couple ~30% water changes since posting this and have obviously been cutting back on feedings. My nitrates hover around 10ppm, usually, so that should be alright, I think. My efforts seem to be working though! There's still some, especially down by the roots of the plants, but it hasn't actually been coming back like I thought it was going to. Just now set my timer to reduce the light by a couple hours too, so we'll see if that helps any more 🤞

Most reactions

Back