HELP! Very urgent Betta fish help

KoppeKatxx

Reaction score
Help! This morning I got up and was awoken to my betta having this spots on his back (look at photos) and one of his eyes has gone cloudy/ foggy.

He’s in a 10 gal tank and he’s a halfmoon- I’ve had him for 1 year exactly.

Yesterday he did NOT look like this at all. I did a water change yesterday and added water conditioner so I know it’s not ammonia poisoning.

His Ph looks to be at about 6.8 (refer to photos)

The only thing new I’ve added to the tank was a new heater (you can see it in the photos)

Please can someone help me - I don’t what’s wrong with my poor baby….

Attachments

• IMG_8425.jpeg
    IMG_8425.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8423.jpeg
    IMG_8423.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8422.jpeg
    IMG_8422.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8421.jpeg
    IMG_8421.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8420.jpeg
    IMG_8420.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8419.jpeg
    IMG_8419.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8418.jpeg
    IMG_8418.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8417.jpeg
    IMG_8417.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8416.jpeg
    IMG_8416.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8427.jpeg
    IMG_8427.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Poor little guy :( Did you do a full test panel? I know you said you added conditioner yesterday but if you have the test kit at home it would be good to run a full panel of tests and let us know what the readings are? I probably won't be able to offer much advice but I know the more experienced members on this forum would like to see a full reading of parameters in order to try and help. Also there is a category for emergencies that may get you some help quicker. If you message one of the admins I am sure they could help you change the category.

Poor little guy :( Did you do a full test panel? I know you said you added conditioner yesterday but if you have the test kit at home it would be good to run a full panel of tests and let us know what the readings are? I probably won't be able to offer much advice but I know the more experienced members on this forum would like to see a full reading of parameters in order to try and help. Also there is a category for emergencies that may get you some help quicker. If you message one of the admins I am sure they could help you change the category.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
pH: 6.8
Hardness (GH):75-150ppm
Alkalinity (KH): 0ppm

It looks to me like velvet (Oodinium sp) or one of its relatives/similar parasites. It's hard to diagnose from a photo, but I'd suggest you google these creatures and compare the images to your fish. There are lots of treatments in the US, but I'm not there to be able to name brands.
It's the first thing I'd investigate. You can also take a flashlight, ideally strong with a focused beam, turn off the tank lights and look for a 'velvety' film behind the head and along the spine behind the head.

It's unlikely to be velvet unless you have added new fish or plants to the tank in the last month. Velvet normally appears as a yellow/ gold sheen over part or parts of the body and fins. Fish will rub on objects if they have velvet or other types of external protozoan parasites.

To check for velvet, turn the tank lights off and shine a torch on the fish or use a camera with its flash ON to photograph the fish. Velvet will show up quite readily as a yellow/ gold coloured area.

----------------

If the problem occurred after you did a water change, then the new water or the container you used might have been contaminated by something. You can try doing another water change today and see if it improves. If it does, then the previous water change was the problem.

Make sure you use buckets and hoses that are only used for the fish and nobody uses them for anything else.

Dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the aquarium. Add some dechlorinater to a bucket and fill the bucket with tap water. Aerate or stir it up for at least 5 (preferably 30) minutes, then add that water to the aquarium.

Make sure you don't have anything on your hands or arms when working on the tank. Things like moisturising cream, oil, grease, soap residue or perfumes from soap and hand sanitiser can all poison fish. A small amount will irritate the fish so it produces more mucous and develops a cream or white film or patches over the head, body and fins. A larger amount of chemical getting in the water can kill the fish.

Make sure nobody used sprays, paints or smokes in the room. These can irritate and poison the fish too.

I was thinking velvet because the poster has reasonably soft water. I think it can lurk around in tiny numbers. I have a protozoan parasite in a Microctenopoma tank now - fish group that are painfully prone to the parasite. The fish went into the tank last August, and the only new fish added were through the original fish breeding. But this is the second outbreak in a year.
These parasites love softwater tanks, even with weekly water changes and good overall maintenance.

Most reactions

Back