Best substrate for plants?

AFAIA the argos play sand is the only option here in the UK, and I have used this in my previous tank with no issues. Its a much finer grain than the 'aquarium' sand I have now. The cories seemed to be able to dig around and filter feed in the argos stuff much better. The problem is the colour IMO, it is quite a bright shade of tan and so obtaining a different colour, particularly a dark grey, would be ideal.
If I was to go hunting around for a different play sand to the argos, what should I be looking out for with regards to its processing?
@Byron I swear we keep having this conversation lol but what issues should you look out for when looking for play sand?

Responding to both posts. When I was being convinced by members to switch to play sand (another forum, about a decade ago now) I decided to try play sand. The product I used (and still use) is Quikrete Play Sand which is available in North America from Home Depot and Lowe's (maybe others). There is a dark grey sand and a buff tone sand. I contacted Quikrete and discussed their processing of this and other industrial sands. Play Sand is the most thoroughly-processed of the industrial sands, intended to remove all roughness and sharpness. Reason being, kids "play" with it and it gets tossed into eyes, swallowed, etc, etc. It is non-rough, no coatings, just pure tumble-processed sand. Quikrete wash their tumbler processor before processing play sand, and it is processed to achieve maximum smoothness.

Other brands may or may not be up to this standard. I know that in a thread a few weeks back, Sakrete Play Sand was mentioned and on that manufacturer's website it states it is not safe for an aquarium. I've no idea why, but that warning is all I need to refrain from using it.

Members in the UK have recommended Argos Play Sand as safe.

When changing the substrate, set up a "temporary aquarium" which can be a spare tank (it does not need to be as large as the display tank) or suitable container. You will need a cover as fish will often jump in such circumstances. The filter and heater from the display tank can be moved over, or some other arrangement made. This not only is far easier and less stressful for the fish, it also means you are not rushed.

Trying to remove the old substrate and add new with the fish present is severely stressful. There is also the chance of hitting an anaerobic area which could kill the fish within minutes. We heard of this a few weeks back with a member. Don't risk it.

When changing the substrate, set up a "temporary aquarium" which can be a spare tank (it does not need to be as large as the display tank) or suitable container. You will need a cover as fish will often jump in such circumstances. The filter and heater from the display tank can be moved over, or some other arrangement made. This not only is far easier and less stressful for the fish, it also means you are not rushed.

Trying to remove the old substrate and add new with the fish present is severely stressful. There is also the chance of hitting an anaerobic area which could kill the fish within minutes. We heard of this a few weeks back with a member. Don't risk it.

I dig your explanations bro :thumbs:.

However, hydrogen sulfide poisoning is directly linked with eutrophication so just disturbing the substrate won't affect the fish as long as high enough oxygen levels are maintained. Because of this in many Green Aqua videos of re-scapes, they don't move the fish. Yet when removing the substrate oxygen may be driven out due to the increased sediment in the water and that's when problems start happening.

Substrate is not important for angels and danios. It's only important for fish which live on the bottom of the tank - loaches, cories, some types of cichlid.

But your proposed stocking has problems.
Angels and gouramis should not be kept together.
Angels should be kept as a bonded pair or a group of at least 6.
Guppies are hard water fish while the rest are soft water fish.

——This is proof that there is no one “ rule”. I have a 55 with one angel ( sold all others so tired of aggressive behavior once they paired off), 3 different gouramis , 20 guppies, blue ram. Also assorted catfish and 4 orange plecos.
I’ve had this combo for awhile.
I have another 55 with 4 blood red parrots and guppies!
This tank has been stocked like this for 6 months. So far no problem.——

What size tank are we talking about?

So should I return the gouramis and get something else? Or is it okay? My gouramis haven't shown any hostility towards the angels, the gouramis just chase each other from time to time.
No I wouldn’t!

I have a 75 gal bowfront.

Similar to you, I am in the planning stage on setting up a 75 gallon tank. Using something like SeaChem Eco Complete would cost me ~$200+. Unfortunately a local fish store (LFS) went out of business but I was able to buy a large quantity of gravel for $50, I have enough gravel for multiple tanks. One solution I may use, buy a bag of Eco Complete for areas with plants which are root feeders. I am setting up a Tiger Barb tank which will require open water for these guys, they are very active swimmer (fish with ADD:). I will only have dense plants in the back corners of the tank.

To keep it simple with better chances of success and lower cost, I plan on using Java moss for my foreground plant which does not require a nutrient rich substrate. In fact, I may have a major algae problem if I use a nutrient rich substrate in the entire tank with a majority of my plants being water column feeders (this is open for debate, I am still learning).

What I like about Eco Complete, "it has a high CEC (cation exchange capacity) which means that it takes nutrients from the water and absorbs it, then slowly releases it to feed plant roots." (Cut&paste). Eco Complete may absorb the nutrients from the root tabs or decaying organic material. But once again, this statement is based on what I read ie: I never have used the stuff.

Another idea to consider/research, use Net Pots filled with Eco Complete for any large root feeding background plants. When the Eco Complete is depleted, just put root tabs in the pots.

Note: A huge concern for me is a planted tank with a large fish population, it will have a large school of Tiger Barbs (20+) and possible a smaller schools of Serpae Tetras and Cory cats. The tank may become unbalanced with too much nutrients and not enough plants ie: major algae problems.

Most reactions

Back