Alternative to Heater Suction Cups

powerdyne6

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My Eheim/Jager heaters are greatā€¦ the suction cup mounts are terrible.

Is there an alternative to mounting these heaters on the glass? I donā€™t want to be replacing these every 3 to 4 months.

Is there something that is magnetic?

They become flat and hard and no longer suction.

My aquarium glass is 12mm thick

Thanks

there are filters out there that incorporate heater mounts like the tidals and I think a few others. Whats nice about that it heats your tank more efficiently with the direct water flow on the return side.

I find the Eheim / Jaeger suction cups to be the best ones out there as far as suction cups go . I briefly dip mine in boiling water from time to time to clean the rubber good and form them back into shape . What does a number on the Eheim suction cups is that stiff heavy cord on the heater . It pulls the heater away from the suction cups . To remedy that I plan out how I want my heater in the aquarium and use a hair dryer to heat that heavy cord and form it to shape . I wish manufacturers would make a hanger that attaches to the aquarium rim to eliminate suction cups - two versions - one horizontal and one vertical . Most of my submersible heaters I leave hang free with the suction cups attached to prevent knocking against the glass but people with big boisterous fish wonā€™t get away with that .

there are filters out there that incorporate heater mounts like the tidals and I think a few others. Whats nice about that it heats your tank more efficiently with the direct water flow on the return side.
I do run a Oase Canistar Fikter and there is a spot internally for 1 heater.. but I run 2 heaters in my 75 Gallon.

I find the Eheim / Jaeger suction cups to be the best ones out there as far as suction cups go . I briefly dip mine in boiling water from time to time to clean the rubber good and form them back into shape . What does a number on the Eheim suction cups is that stiff heavy cord on the heater . It pulls the heater away from the suction cups . To remedy that I plan out how I want my heater in the aquarium and use a hair dryer to heat that heavy cord and form it to shape . I wish manufacturers would make a hanger that attaches to the aquarium rim to eliminate suction cups - two versions - one horizontal and one vertical . Most of my submersible heaters I leave hang free with the suction cups attached to prevent knocking against the glass but people with big boisterous fish wonā€™t get away with that .
Good ideaā€¦ I will put them in some boiling water and see how that goes.

My suction cups the came with my Oase Canister are great and have been in the tank for about a year. My Eheim cups I have changed 2 times in that span.. I just find the get hard and flat and no longer ā€œsuctionā€ to the glass.

Good ideaā€¦ I will put them to in some boiling water and seeing too . how that goes.

My suction cups the came with my Oase Canister are great and have been in the tank for about a year. My Eheim cups I have changed 2 times in that span.. I just find the get hard and flat and no longer ā€œsuctionā€ to the glass.
Yes , thatā€™s what I found too . They get hard and flat . The boiling water softens them up and you can reshape them with your fingers to the original conical shape .

All suction cups eventually fail and most people just stop using them. The bottom of the heater can rest on the substrate and the main heater body can just sit in the water. It doesn't have to be against the glass or anywhere in particular.

J&L Aquatics and Innovative Marine have magnetic holder, they are pretty expensive :(

This resin hollow log ( open on the bottom ) is stood up, and houses my tank heater, hides an under gravel filter, riser tube, and blocks some of the view of my Aquaclear 70ā€™d intake tube, and keeps the heater in place, with no suction cups
IMG_5029.jpeg

This piece of real driftwood holds the heater in place in this tank, with no suction cups
IMG_5030.jpeg

Most reactions

Back