Adding a NEW filter to a no filter tank

Yuval5520

Reaction score
IDK if it belongs here but:

i got a tank that has run for 8 months without a filter, now i want to add a filter, would it ruin my cycle?

Also

I have a Cabomba as a background plant, if the filter output is too strong will it "destroy" the shape of the cabomba?Like not being fully upright and goes to the left \ right.

No, adding a filter will benefit your cycle. Beneficial bacteria like having a large surface area to live on and lots of oxygenated water, and adding a filter does both of those things. Increasing agitation increases oxygen which both your nitrifying bacteria and your fish will benefit from.
Buy a filter, get some filter media - cotton is good to start, rinse it in removed aquarium water before installing it, and use a bacterial seeder straight into the filter if you’re really worried. Don’t let untreated tap water anywhere near it.

Most filters you can control the flow intensity and plants get their strength and structure from being pushed around by currents or wind.

if the filter output is too strong will it "destroy" the shape of the cabomba?
That would depend on what type of filter and where it is placed. I put a Tidal 55 on the side of a 29 gallon tank, it created a raging circular river current in the tank.

On Amazon, I found this interesting add on to AquaClear HOB filters, AquaClear Series HOB Filter Flow Baffle shown below.

AquaClean baffle.jpg

So you can get an oversized filter without the worries about creating strong currents.

They also sell this cool device, AquaClear HOB Filter Surface Skimmer

Aquaclear skimmer.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That would depend on what type of filter and where it is placed. I put a Tidal 55 on the side of a 29 gallon tank, it created a raging circular river current in the tank.

On Amazon, I found this interesting add on to AquaClear HOB filters, AquaClear Series HOB Filter Flow Baffle shown below.

View attachment 339055
So you can get an oversized filter without the worries about creating strong currents.

They also sell this cool device, AquaClear HOB Filter Surface Skimmer

View attachment 339056

I think i might get an internal filter, NEWA micro 40. i mean... its quite slim.... 35 mm by 52 mm by 150 mm

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I make DIY filter for small tank .The filtration separate wet and dry,and the effect is better than the filter drum, I suggest you use similar filtration. It hang up outside of the tank.
截屏2024-04-03 下午9.37.52.png

i got a tank that has run for 8 months without a filter, now i want to add a filter, would it ruin my cycle?

Also

I have a Cabomba as a background plant, if the filter output is too strong will it "destroy" the shape of the cabomba?Like not being fully upright and goes to the left \ right.

Attachments

• 截屏2024-04-03 下午9.40.43.png
    截屏2024-04-03 下午9.40.43.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 3
At my peak I had 28 Aquaclear hang-ons. I have all the sizes. They are a versatile durable filter which works great. I cannot see spenfing a penny for thos attachments and do not believe they will add any value to the filter. I am working my way out of the hobby so today I have only 18 and will be closing more tanks shortly. My oldest longest running Aquaclear is a 200gph (50). It was out into service in 20002 and has run every since. I do not recall having to buy another AC in well over 10 years now.

One of the reasons I like the ACs is they have flow control. So it is easy to use a filter size that is bigger than needed and simply turn down the flow. What you get is way more space for media without having to worry about too much flow.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now as to the good bacteria. Let's try some common sense. Your have run your tank for 8 months w/o a filter. So clearly one of two situations must exists. First, your tank never produces any ammonia- i.e the fish do not breath or poop and you never feed them. You have no organic waste of any kind being created and your tap water has no potential issues.

Second, nature is still working normally and the bacteria have colonized your tank and are protecting your fish from ammonia and nitrite.

So, if your fish are alive and healthy, Second prevails. If your fish are all dead, you never feed them etc. then First prevails.

Which do you think is the case? ;)

Also, there is no scientific evidence that adding a filter to a tank can kill the bacterial. In fact the opposite is likely true. Some of the bacteria will end up in the filter because it is a good place for them to get what they need delivered to them regularly. Of course there will be an equal decrease in the amount of bacteria found outside of the filter in the tank. The bacteria will always end up living for they get the most of what they need without interuption. Oh ys, they also perfer to live out ot the light. And what determine the amiunt of nitrifying organisms in a tank is how much ammonia is available.

When ammonia levels are increased the bacteria will reproduce to meet that increase. And if ammonia levels are decreased, the number of bacteria will decrease until it is in balance with the reduced ammonia supply.again

Last edited:

Also

Hello. There's really nothing wrong with keeping a tank with no filtration, if that's your choice. I no longer filter any of my tanks. I just remove and replace half the tank water every few days. The water change is the filter in my tanks. But, as to our question, the filter won't affect the bacteria which is using the ammonia and nitrite the fish are producing in their waste material.

Also

add a filter only make water cleaner, better water cycle, not to ruin your cycle. put the tube into the water, which not affect your plant.

Attachments

• 截屏2024-04-03 下午9.35.09.png
    截屏2024-04-03 下午9.35.09.png
    541.1 KB · Views: 1

Most reactions

Back