Fish recommendations?

Ameris

Reaction score
I have a ten gallon, vertical (which causes issues). It’s cycled, planted, and has seven albino glowlight tetras in it at the moment. I’m looking for a centerpiece non schooling fish. My mind automatically goes to betta, but I already have one in another tank. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to get another but I’d still like recommendations.

Thanks!

Smaller gouramis? I had a female honey goruami for a while never had any aggression issues with either tetras or rasbora. Personable fish too

I hate to say it, but I fear glowlight tetras are going to be awfully crowded in a 10g tall. Even most nano fish would be. If it has lots of cover, you could try a scarlet badis. But honestly the tetras alone are probably more than enough for such a small footprint.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

With all due respect I’m gonna be so fr I can’t do that, I’m 1. Not advanced like that, this is my second tank ever, 2. A minor and I can’t drive legally 3. Don’t know what most of that means. I’m really trying to get recommendations based on tank size, current inhabitants, basic parameters, simple things. I care about my fishes’ wellbeing within the boundaries of what I can provide for them.
Not meaning any of this is disrespect, just being clear with where I’m coming from.
In response to others, I’m probably going to either stick with just the tetras or get 2-3 dwarf gouramis based on general consensus, I appreciate all ya’lls help

With all due respect I’m gonna be so fr I can’t do that, I’m 1. Not advanced like that, this is my second tank ever, 2. A minor and I can’t drive legally 3. Don’t know what most of that means. I’m really trying to get recommendations based on tank size, current inhabitants, basic parameters, simple things. I care about my fishes’ wellbeing within the boundaries of what I can provide for them.
Not meaning any of this is disrespect, just being clear with where I’m coming from.
In response to others, I’m probably going to either stick with just the tetras or get 2-3 dwarf gouramis based on general consensus, I appreciate all ya’lls help
I understand what you're saying, but hardness is generally considered one of the basic parameters (along with temperature, tank mates, and tank dimensions). It isn't as complicated as it seems. Some water is harder, meaning it has a lot of dissolved minerals. Other water is soft, meaning it doesn't. Certain fish like hard or soft water, so it's a good thing to know. Some fish are adaptable enough that they don't seem to care as long as it isn't extreme. It's pretty easy to call your city's water department and find out how hard your water is.

Dwarf gouramis are beautiful, but be aware they are very prone to sickness and often don't last long.

Hardness and such are as easy to learn as temperature - but most 10 gallon talls are really 5 gallon tanks for fish capacity. The extra height is wasted space/water.
Glowlights are gentle creatures, but if they get curious about a Betta's fins, they'll take nips. Most cardinals will. Most Bettas warn them off, but if you get one whose fins are too large, look out.
Gouramis don't hover like Bettas do, and like a tank they can move around in. I'm afraid your are pretty well stocked now.

You can Google your water hardness by checking your supplier's website.

I personally wouldn't add a betta to a community tank without a backup plan, potentially one gourami if suited to your parameters but that's probably it.

Most reactions

Back